Kung Fu Panda 2 is a certified banger

One of my favourite sequels tbh.




So in my last post (which you can check out if you haven’t already) I reviewed Kung Fu Panda. I rewatched the sequel with my friends the other day, and it’s even better than the first one.

    [OBLIGATORY SPOILER WARNING]

Like any good sequel, Kung Fu Panda 2 builds on its predecessor’s story. We learn that Po is adopted (which resolves questions kid-me had when I saw the first one), and journey with him as he slowly learns that harrowing truth about what happened to the panda village.

One of the best things about this movie is how it handles mature themes like genocide and trauma. Through distinctive animation and a striking sound track (Hans Zimmer at it again), we learn how and why Lord Shen purged all the pandas, and how Po survived. The scene in the rain where Po finally comes to terms with his loss; letting go of the past and embracing the present is one of my favourite scenes in film.

Jack Black is back and better than ever. Along with the animators (shout out to them, especially for the flashback scenes, I really like the puppetry and 2-D style used) he delivers a performance that is equally entertaining and emotional. Another stand out performance comes from Sirius Black himself, Gary Oldman, who voices Lord Shen. His depiction as a power-hungry peacock is great, I really like how 3-dimensional his character is; ruthless, prideful and insecure, which he attempts to mask. I also really like Mr Ping, Po’s duck dad (voiced by James Hong), he’s a lovely character who really grounds Po (despite the fact that he’s an anthropomorphic duck). Seeing him and Po hug at the end is just AWWWW…

Despite the Furious Five not really having much characterization (apart from Tigress), I still like ‘em, especially the boi Monke. The wolves are pretty cool henchmen.

The finale, where Po manages to defeat Lord Shen and his army by using their own firepower against them is awesome, it’s probably my favourite scene in all the Kung Fu Panda movies (still haven’t seen 4 yet). The arc that Po goes through, gaining inner peace and embracing his destiny and new life is incredibly done and can resonate with all audiences, young and old alike.

The entire team, led by director Jenifer Yuh Nelson did an amazing job with this one. Looking forward to revisiting 3.

Skadoosh.

Sources:
Kung Fu Panda 2 (Jenifer Yuh Nelson, DreamWorks, 2011).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Househelps: Ordinary Heroes

The Passion of the Christ: Hope amidst Suffering

(Re)start